Bioengineering and Bioinformatics is a flagship programme in the field of synthetic and engineering biology and bioinformatics. The programme provides in-depth knowledge in modern computational biology, genetic engineering, protein engineering, and cell and tissue engineering.
The programme aims
Provide fundamental training for Bioengineering and Bioinformatics specialists in independent R&D, teaching in higher and secondary educational institutions.
- Students can obtain a competency passport in addition to a diploma.
- Students enrolled in this Programme can study free at a leading EU university on a semester basis.
Upon completing the Programme, you will:
- have knowledge of the principles of biological objects' cellular organization, biophysical and biochemical fundamentals, membrane processes and molecular mechanisms of vital activities;
- have the knowledge of human biology fundamentals;
- have the knowledge of human and animal physiology, plant physiology, physiology of higher nervous activity, biomedicine;
- be able to apply methods for obtaining and manipulating embryo objects;
06.05.01 . Bioengineering and bioinformatics.
Duration of the Programme
Language of instructionRussian
InstituteInstitute of Living Systems
Courses & Study Load
ECTS credits: 240
Core courses: structural bioinformatics, molecular biology, synthetic and systems biology, highly effective methods for genetic constructs assembly, protein engineering, cell technologies, artificial genetic systems, introduction to mathematical culture and mathematical logic, mathematical analysis, higher algebra, geometry and topology, discrete mathematics, databases, introduction to machine learning, Pyton programming, machine learning and data analysis.
Professional Training / Internships
The programme includes the following educational training:
- Educational training in biodiversity (botany)
- educational training in biodiversity (zoology).
Main training facilities.
- the department of Botany and Plant Ecology of the faculty of Bioecology of the IKBFU,
- the department of Ecology and Zoology of the faculty of Bioecology of the IKBFU,
- biological station of the Atlantic Branch of the Shirshov Institute of Oceanology of the RAS,
- Dom Ohotnika Lodge Hotel of the Kaliningrad Regional Association of Hunters and Fishermen, Dolzhanskoe, Krasnoznamensky District,
- Training base (Hrustalnoe, Slavsky District)
- Training base (Otradnoe, Zelenogradsky district)
Bioengineering and Bioinformatics specialist has a wide range of career opportunities in the following fields:
- development of medical, veterinary or agricultural diagnostic systems (leading expert, researcher, team leader, head of the laboratory);
- drug development and preclinical research (leading expert, researcher, team leader, head of the laboratory);
- development of INFORMATION SYSTEMS OF MEDICAL ACTIVITIES IN THE STRUCTURES OF the Ministry of Healthcare (leading expert, researcher, team leader, director of a department);
- high-tech biotechnological, agricultural, and pharmaceutical production (director of a department, head of a laboratory);
- administration of technological data bases;
- supervisory and regulatory authorities (director of a department, head of a laboratory);
- expert and testing centres of the Ministry of Healthcare, the Ministry of Agriculture, the Federal Customs Service, the Federal Agency for Technological Regulation and Metrology (expert,
- analyst, head of a laboratory, director of a department);
- research (research fellow, team leader, section leader);
- school biology or computer science teacher.