Academy of comparative studies in Russian and Western philosophy
The Academia Kantiana is a subunit of the Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University and aims at systematic research of the interaction between Russian and Western philosophical traditions. Kant’s ideas and their reception in Russia, the history of Russian neo-Kantianism and its influence on European thought, the Enlightenment project and its revival in the XXI century are the core themes of the Academy’s research program.
The Academy continues the work started by the Kant Institute and relies on a group of young philosophers who are actively gaining national and international academic prestige. The Academy has close ties with leading Russian and foreign centers of philosophy.
The Academy publishes “Kantovsky Sbornik”, a quarterly journal dedicated to research in Kantian philosophy. The journal looks back over forty years of history and is listed by the Higher Attestation Commission among Russia’s top academic periodicals. “Kantovsky Sbornik” is available online via IKBFU’s publishing house (https://journals.kantiana.ru/kant_collection/).
Research expertise of the Academy is being implemented in Masters Programs in Philosophy, conducted by IKBFU. There are new Masters and Doctoral Programs specifically dedicated to Kantian philosophy and its contemporary applications. The latter have been developed by the Academy to bring together prominent Kant scholars and an enthusiastic international student audience.
The Academy is working to plan and implement a complex project, drawing on research, education and popular “edutainment” leading up to the celebration of Kant’s 300th anniversary, which will be among the most significant events in Kaliningrad in the coming decade.
The Academy is making a strong effort to reach wider audiences, bringing discussions of philosophy to schools, libraries, art galleries and other cultural spaces. We strongly believe that our interest in the Enlightenment obliges us to this kind of voluntary work.
Faculty & Staff
- Dr. Vadim Chaly, Associate Professor, Senior Research Fellow
- Dr. Leonid Kornilaev, Research Fellow
- Dr. Sergey Lugovoy, Associate Professor, Senior Research Fellow
- Dr. Valentin V. Balanovsky, Research Fellow
- Anatoly Pushkarsky, Senior Lecturer, Junior Research Fellow
- Dr. Pärttyli Rinne, Senior Research Fellow
- Dr. Andrey Teslya, Senior Research Fellow
- Dr. Frédéric Tremblay, Senior Research Fellow
- Andrey Zilber, Junior Research Fellow
- David Rozhin, Master Student
- Polina Umnikova, Master Student
Dr. Alexey P. Kozyrev– chair of the Academia Kantiana International Research Council; associate professor of philosophy, Department of History of Russian Philosophy, vice-dean for research, Faculty of Philosophy, Lomonosov Moscow State University
Prof. Dr. Irina Griftsova – deputy chair of the Academia Kantiana International Research Council; professor of philosophy, head of the Department of Philosophy, Institute for Social-Humanitarian Education, Moscow Pedagogical State University; member of the Council of the Russian Society for History and Philosophy of Science
Prof. Dr. David Bakhurst – John and Ella G. Charlton professor of philosophy, Department of Philosophy, Queen’s University, Kingston (Ontario, Canada (Ontario, Canada)
Prof. Dr. Vadim Vasilyev – professor of philosophy, head of the Department of History of Foreign Philosophy, codirector of the Center for Consciousness Studies, Faculty of Philosophy, Lomonosov Moscow State University
Prof. Dr. Heiner F. Klemme – professor of philosophy, member of the Board of Directors of the Interdisciplinary Centre for European Enlightenment Studies, Martin-Luther-University Halle-Wittenberg; member of the German Kant Society Board; first chair of the Christian Wolff and the Philosophy of the Enlightenment Society (Germany)
Prof. Dr. Aleksey Kruglov – professor of philosophy, Faculty of Philosophy, Russian State University for the Humanities
Dr. Boris Mezhuev – associate professor of philosophy, Department of History of Russian Philosophy, Faculty of Philosophy, Lomonosov Moscow State University
Dr. Aleksandr Mikhailovsky – associate professor of philosophy, School of Philosophy, Faculty of Humanities, Higher School of Economics – National Research University
Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Otfried Höffe – professor of philosophy, head of Research Center for Political Philosophy, University of Tübingen; Doctor honoris causa of the University of Porto Alegre and the University of Belgrade; fellow of the Heidelberg Academy of Sciences and the German National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina
Prof. Dr. Jürgen Stolzenberg – professor of philosophy, member of the Board of Directors of the Interdisciplinary Centre for European Enlightenment Studies, Martin-Luther-University Halle-Wittenberg; member of the German Kant Society Board; fellow of the Göttingen Academy of Sciences
Projects & Activities
Prof. Dr. Jürgen Stolzenberg (Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg)
|01.06.2017||10:00 am||Dr. Alexey Kozyrev (Lomonosov Moscow State University)||
"Russian Thought and the Revolution 1917"
Chernyshevskogo str. 56a
|21.09.2017||7:00 pm||Dr. Andrey Teslya (Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University)||"Shestov versus Kant: For What Does Categorical Imperative serve?"||Chernyshevskogo str. 56a|
Dr. Alexandr Mikhailovsky (Higher School of Economics – National Research University)
||"Humanist in Antiquity: Between Science and Political Expertise"||Chernyshevskogo str. 56a|
|19.10.2017||7:00 pm||Dr. Petr Rezvykh (Higher School of Economics – National Research University)||«"Columbus of the XIXth century": Schelling and Russia»||Chernyshevskogo str. 56a|
Summer School 2017
The International summer school “What should I do? The Ethics of Immanuel Kant and its Actuality” will be the first event organized by Academia Kantiana. It will take place on August, 20th – 30th.
Prof. Dr. Jürgen Stolzenberg (Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg) will become Visiting Head of the school, assisted by Dr. Sergey Lugovoy (Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University) and cand. phil. Stefan Röttig , MA (Julius-Maximilians University Würzburg).
The summer school is aimed at graduate and postgraduate students, as well as recent PhDs. A conference for young researchers will be held as part of the school program. More information see in Russian
Applications are accepted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Conference „No Right of Sedition". Kant and the Problem of Revolution in Political Philosophy from the 18th to the 21st Century
Regulations:Charter of the ACADEMIA KANTIANA Research Unit of the Institute for the Humanities of the IKBFU
Charter of the Academia Kantiana International Research Council
Address: 40 room, 56a Chernyshevskogo ul., Kaliningrad
Postal address: 14 A. Nevskogo ul., Kaliningrad, 236041
Phone number: +7 4012 595 595 (ext: 1960)
Postdoc / Senior Researcher
Main job conditions:
- Fixed term contract for one calendar year beginning in late 2018
- Prolongation possible depending on performance and availability of funding
- Relocation to Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University (Kaliningrad, Russia) is required
- Full time position, salary of 90 000 Rub./month (before 13% income tax)
- Visa support for HQS Multiple Entry Visa (invitation, document processing)
- Assistance with securing on-campus housing (if available)
- Paid vacation (42 calendar days per one calendar year), medical insurance covered by the University, free access to all on-campus facilities
Kant’s Philosophy or Philosophy of Enlightenment, preferably both and its/their actuality (applied philosophy: biomedical ethics, AI ethics, philosophy of cognitive sciences etc.)
- Ph.D. in Philosophy
- Age under 40 (at the moment of signing contract)
- Research papers or book reviews – at least 2 in journals indexed in Web of Science or Scopus from 2013 to 2018
- Monograph – 1 book published from 2013 to 2018
- Total number of publications (articles, book reviews, monographs, etc.) – preferably, 20
- h-index of at least 1, or at least 5 total citations in Scopus or Web of Science
- Conference presentations – at least 1 over the last 2 years
- Proven experience in attracting grant financing/participation in grants
- Proven research or/and teaching experience of at least 5 years
- Fluent English
- Russian or German proficiency is a plus
Deadline of application: September 20, 2018
How to apply: by e-mail, included
- CV, incl. AuthorID Scopus and Researcher ID (Clarivate Analytics)
- List of publications
- At least one letter of reference
Contact e-mail: NDmitrieva@kantiana.ru
Contact person: Prof. Dr. Nina A. Dmitrieva
Job start date: December 2018 earliest. Actual start of work will depend on the visa processing times and may vary
- research in the field of Kant’s Philosophy or/and Philosophy of Enlightenment and its/their actuality
- at least 3 articles written and submitted for publication at journals of Scopus or Web of Science
- 1 philosophical course taught at the IKBFU
- at least 2 presentations at international conferences
- participation at the scientific, educational and publication activities of the Academia Kantiana
More information about the Academia Kantiana, IKBFU:
1 Cost of living WELL in Kaliningrad is about 40 000 Rub./month.